Texas 4x4 Forum banner

What should i get

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help me choose what to do with this massive hunk of metal in my garage.

Keep in consideration that i am a weekend wheeler, who does mostly mud and trials occasionally. This rig is my DD, and i am on a very limited budjet making about 100 bux every 2 weeks inbetween going to school and paying for insurance.

Im trying to build this as cheap as possible.

Stats wise i have a 350/700r4/241

I plan to keep the 10 bolt up front so the max tire size im lookin at is 38s.

I plan to do a conversion u joint aswell

THanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hmm.. that's weird, it says I have already voted on this poll? This is the first time I've seen it .. ???

Since the drums are "gone" disc's might be the way to go since it won't cost too much more than new drums, shoes, wheel cylinders etc. However, keep in mind that is without an E brake. E brakes will add to the cost, for something like caddy calipers. Other options for E brakes are out there, but they too will cost. With that said, ..

Disc's
4.88's
Detroit Locker

Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
How far everyday do you drive to school and work? What size tires do you have now and when are you going to 38's? If this is something you wheel just alittle but drive alot and don't have 38's yet or not for awhile........

disc, 4.56's and detroit. You won't pass state inspection with disc unless you run some kind of e-brake or know someone.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i was planning on biteing the bullet on the ebrake and doing the caddy calipers from the 76-78 eldarado.

right now i have 36in iroks and when i have to do the 8 lug convo up front im guna get new rims and hopefully by then ill have the cash to get some new tires.
that wont be until sometime this summer probably.

uhh every day i go to work wich is about 4 miles there and 4 miles back and school wich is about 2 miles there and 2 miles back. so id say about 15 miles a day on average.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
decision

El Dorado Disc brakes 1st for safety, the ebrake function seems to work well on mine just sitting on the workbench, have not put the axle under the rig yet but was just testing it to see how well it worked. The locker would be nice later once you decide on a front axle. The lower the gearing the higher the RPM's are going to be on the highway so keep that in mind. To turn 38's you would need the lower gears like maybe a 4.56 or lower. Just my .02

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all of the imput

someone told me that 5:13s would be fine runnig on my k5. he said something like lower gears work well with my 700r4. will higher rps slow me down, or just REALLY mess with my gas mileage.

if not i think i will just go with 4:88s

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
The few miles you put on your truck you could run 6.72's and never tell you have bad gas milage.......LOL I ran 35's with 4.56's and loved it through the mud and street. Just recently put in a 14ff and went with 5.13's for my 44's. I wouldn't run above 4.88 if you have to do more street driving then playing with 36's or 38's. That would give you good take off and power for the street or trails. Just my opionion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts