Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey from Beaumont, TX. Here are some pics of my build to show where she is at now so go easy, its my first build and first time with any kind of fab work period. My goal is to keep it street legal (for now) but have a capable rig for the trails. Plus...I just need **** to do to keep me outta trouble!
Pic the day I brought her home

Pic of the tired 350 it came with

Body off and shock towers and the BTF full width kit installed

the BTF XJ stretch kit with Genright stretch tank, it gave about 7"-7.5" of wheelbase (one day I might comp cut and use a fuel cell but for now the option of a back seat sounds better to me)

Pic of the fabbed crossmember/skid plate

5.3 vortec/4L60e/STaK 3 speed install pics

1 ton axle pics (too good of a deal for me to pass on)

7/8th heim steering mocked up. Still have to remove factory tie rod

More pics...
Traction bar in place. I still have to weld the bracket to the axle tube. The brakets are from ruffstuff and are pretty damn stout.

I picked up some race trim seats that seem real cozy for the price. When I add to my cage and tie it in I will make some brakets for the seats too. For now the factory crap will have to do. I was going to build a console for the Art Carr shifter and triple shifters but decided for now I am just going to extend an aftermarket console to the dash that I picked up for $29. Once extended, it should make more surface area for the shifters.

Here is a pic of the 5.3 vortec. I really wanted to run the 6.0 but got impatient waiting for one with decent mileage. I got a screaming deal on a complete engine/tranny/harness/DBW from LKQ but they ****** up completely (i won't mention Kelly's name because I never had a problem with him personally:eek:) and sent me somebody elses engine only. They offered me that engine with less mileage for the same price and the promise to send me everything that went with it. Sounded good but it has been a PITA ever since. Months later, it idles good but thats it! The drive by wire has been a *****. Off of my soap box.

My corners and truck stop LEDs. I still need to cut the wheel well opening to the back of the tub a bit more.

This is my hoop and stinger. I plan to tie them together and then tie them to some hi-clearance tube fenders. Eventually gonna run 42"s or 44"s.

I used the below pictured 1.75" wheel spacers to create the backspacing I wanted

They came with very long studs so I faced them towards each other and attached the wheel and the new center like the following pictures will illustrate.

I tack welded the center in position

Now you can flip the wheel over and cut the old center off. On fully cleaned and media blasted wheels you can use the outer rings as a stencil and mark the cut line with a sharpie OR as in my case, use the surface rust line as your cut line (it will be the same as that created with the sharpie). I used a small plasma cutter but a torch will work just as well.

Next I unbolted the adapters on both sides and lifted the cut off original center and took out the adapters

I cleaned up the cutout and welded the centers inside and out and finish painted. I chose to paint them current issue "Lusterless OD Green" and "Flat Black" from Rapco (they specialize in military grade paints for military restorations). I then mounted them on one of the new tires I had.

Not too shitty for a noob. They roll true and wont see any street time anyways. Set up was super easy.

Anyway...fast forward to now. I have since decided that the BTF full width kit makes my pinion angle all messed up. I didnt want to shim it so I ordered some leaf spring sliders from DIY4x that I saw on anatram's project. Long story short, I ended up hacck the BTF stuff off and this weekend will reverse the shackle reversal. The sliders will have to be used on another project. I
I will post more pics later to get to where I'm at now but "Dirty Ole Man" wants to make Mega Fun I next month so we are gonna make a last minute push to get her on the trail. For sure I will have her at WFTW.
Like I said, before this I ain't built sh!t so dont bust my balls 2finger

·
Registered
102 Posts
looks like you have been a busy man.. lol

·
Registered
5,823 Posts

i like the way these turned out...did you order the OD straight from Rapco? is so did you pay the $30 for the hazmat charge? I was about to order some til i saw that charge. for that charge ill go to Bass Pro Shops or Cabellas and get some OD green from them that you paint duck boats with.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Cool..I have a point to add, it s not the BTF kit that screws up the pinion angle, it is the factory perches on the axle....You could turn the knuckles or run "good" steal wedges to make up the difference.. ..3 cents..

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i like the way these turned out...did you order the OD straight from Rapco? is so did you pay the $30 for the hazmat charge? I was about to order some til i saw that charge. for that charge ill go to Bass Pro Shops or Cabellas and get some OD green from them that you paint duck boats with.
LOL! No joke huh? At that time I had more $$$ than sense. You can go to Sherman Williams (I believe they hold a gov't contract) and not have to pay the hazmat. Stuff I wish i had known earlier.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool..I have a point to add, it s not the BTF kit that screws up the pinion angle, it is the factory perches on the axle....You could turn the knuckles or run "good" steal wedges to make up the difference.. ..3 cents..
Yeah I know...I kicked around turning them for a while and opted to just swap the shackles back to the front. I never wanted to go reverse in the first place but thats the way the kit was set up. Knowing what I know now, I wouldnt have bought the BTF kit. I just didnt realize at the time that it was that simple to go full width. Hindsight 20/20

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And you thought a built Jeep would do this........
Heck...its worked so far (well...as long as youre not referring to $$$ trouble!)!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
If you call Sherwin Williams, ask them if they have CARC paint. Almost all carry it or can get it. Also, I have used the Krylon Ultra Flat stuff in the past and like it. It is actually pretty durable and $4.44 a can at Walmart. The truck below was painted with Krylon Spay cans.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well no pics this weekend...too busy to remember to take em! "Dirty Ole Man" came by over the weekend and we got some stuff done. Front end is done now. We pulled the STaK off and stopped the slow AT fluid leak. We swapped out the steering column with a tilt column I got from Rastus.
We measured how much tube I needed on my rear driveshaft (4" of 3" tube) and I dropped that off at the driveshaft shop this morning on my way to work to get that done.
I mounted my suspension seats and started fabbing a center console to mount my NW fab triple shifter and Art Carr shifter. I thought I would be able to modify a console but unfortunately it is too wide to fit with the suspension seats.
Thanks for all the help "Dirty Ole Man". It is VERY much appreciated.

So folks, this is all I need to get her on the trail:
-Change my front shock mounts
-Bolt up the drive shafts and traction bar.
-Finish connecting my front brake lines (I had put it on hold to finish the front end stuff)
-Finish the console and hook up shifter cables.
-Wire in some gauges and lights.
-put some exhaust on (or I'll run it wide ***** open and be the disdain of all on the trail).
-Re-Center 2 more H1 wheels.
-Do the hydro assist (time permitting)
-Do some cage work (time permitting)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well... this wasn't part of my punch list but I just acquired a set of (5) 39.5x16.5 Pitbull Rockers with 90% tread on 4 and 1 never mounted for $700.00 bones! Its gonna cost $179 to get em to me but what the hell! :toast:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
console for my shifters

I started putting together a center console for my heep to house my Art Carr shifter and Northwest Fab triple shifters. At first i was going to modify an existing jeep console I had but that did work out because the suspension seats are wider. Being short on time, I opted to just fab something up so that I can make this sucker shift. I used some angle iron and various widths of flatbar stock.
Here are some pics. It sure as hell aint pretty or fancy but its what I got for now and those cable shifter don't budge.
Here are a couple pics of the rough housing

Here it is with tabs and support added.

Here it is with the top panel on.

I still have to put the sunglasses holder and cup holder in but this is where they will be located.

I still have to construct some panels for the the sides but that shouldn't be a big deal.
Oh, she has driveshafts now too.

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
I really like that console!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not much as far as pictures, just a bunch of last minute rat killin'. A couple of buddies (Dirty Ole Man and TuffMc) from the www.texasjeepowners.com showed up on Saturday and took care of the front lower shock mounts and diff and t/c fluids.
The heep has brakes now with plenty-o-pedal!
She finally has both driveshafts on completely. Here are some pics of those:

The power steering works now. If I have time I will go ahead and do the Hydro assist.
The shifters got all hooked up finally. I started her up late Sunday night while Stouttrout was over and ran the tranny through its gears. It didn't go anywhere :roll: so I suspect the tranny needs some more fluid (even though the dipstick registers at full). The torque converter may not have enough fluid yet to engage properly. I'll straighten that out Friday night, I don't think it will be that big of a deal.
This Saturday, Dirty Ole Man is gonna spot me his trailer to take her in to get some exhaust on her.
I need to be able to see how she is running so gauges are the next order of business. I got all the gauges mounted on the bezels but only plan on wiring the volt, temp and oil for now just so I can make sure everything is running ok.
The console came out OK...not exactly what I wanted but it will work good enough. I work out of town so while there I painted all of the dash panels and those improved the looks of this ol' dog tremendously. Here is a pic of the finished console and the dash panel/gauges.

I'm almost there.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Wow! Awesome job so far. What kinda wheel base are you gonna have?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow! Awesome job so far. What kinda wheel base are you gonna have?
Thanks bud. She is at 105" now. I still have to put on some offset leaf spring plates that should net me 106"-106.5"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts