Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is maybe three years ago. For sure more than two. Both vehicles are gone and the trailer has undergone a few improvements.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Modify said:
For some reason I dont think that jeep will remain that way very long. Congrats on the purchase. jamminzz
Who? Me? I thought these things came "Trail Rated" right out of the factory. Are you telling me I'm going to have to modify this thing?

Phase 1
Sell hardtop.
Shop for axles.
Have fun learning to drive an open/open stock Wrangler.

Phase 2
Dana 60/60 or 60/70 combo with the lowest (high numeric) gear ratio available.
ARBs on both ends (street-ability).
Spring over axle, maybe move the front axle forward a bit; maybe shackle reverse.
Minimum lift springs required to make it work.
Tires: something around a 42" +/- and beadlocks of course.
Hydro-assist steering (full hydro if axle goes forward).
TerraLow 4:1 kit and fixed yoke kit.

Any questions why I signed up for summer school? :)

·
Mas Tequila
18,252 Posts
for phase 1 I suggest SOA and 33's.

Nice find Hatch toast

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, I guess the 411 on the Jeep as it sits would be good.

4.0, auto, stock everything.

Just passed NJ state inspection (supposed to be really tough). You have to look hard in the pix to find any rust (it's there). I'm wiring money to the dealer in the morning.

Note: Yes dear, I thought of that. The total is still below Blue Book even after shipping it down here. No, I couldn't find any 4.0 autos around here close. Heck, 4.0 autos were hard to find ANYWHERE.

:D

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rastus said:
for phase 1 I suggest SOA and 33's.

Nice find Hatch toast
Yes but....I hate to waste money on tires I don't plan to keep for a while. Maybe if I find a cheap used set. Would definitely have to stay with open axles and 33" tires: I DO NOT want to spend money replacing busted D35 shafts; money that I need for some real axles.

When Jersey arrives I will officially begin the "project" thread.

I'm looking at it this way: have fun with stock jeep while REAL upgrade parts are being rounded up and prepped for install. Maybe downtime will be minimized.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rastus said:
Nice find Hatch toast
Thanks.

It only APPEARS that I found one in one or two days of looking. I actually started shopping the day I officially put the Sami up for sale. I already had a good idea of prices and what kinda stuff is out there (nationwide).

I found one with way less miles, 2 yrs newer, a little bit less money and $600 more in current book value. But it wasn't a 4.0, it wasn't an auto, and it wasn't from an established dealer (it was an individual). I didn't settle for something I didn't want just because it was a better deal monetarily. Resale ain't the issue here, so I had to throw that factor away. When you figure in whatever amount I make when I sell the hardtop, I'm looking pretty good with Jersey.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
is it gonna make katemcy?

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
I dont know for 100% on the auto ... but on a AX15 and 231 you get a D300 clock kit and clock it flat and put big gears in it ... then you can bolt in Gm 60 and what ever you want in the rear ... no spring mods needed :D jusy and idea

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.