Texas 4x4 Forum banner

Need a Job

3K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  TAWL_BOY 
#1 · (Edited)
I just got laid off at work yesterday. I hated it there anyway.

Anybody hiring. I'm really up for anything short term. Or if it's something I really like I could make it a career.

Quick Resume:
BA in Psychology from Rice University
I worked in A/C, sheetmetal, and various other forms of construction since I was 15.

Worked a year in sales for the largest equipment rental company in the US.

I can fab pretty good. I can got tons of pics to prove it. I've installed hundreds of lift kits. Lowered junk, air bagged trucks, done body drops, done SASs, 4 links, I can learn to do anything quick.

I'm IVES certified in forklift, all terrain forklift, ariel platforms.

CPR certified.

I'm lookin' for a career or just way to pay the bills for a little while.

Thanks,
Derek

See less See more
#5 ·
Almost everybody just wants you to apply on line and I'm not getting alot of responses.

What's killin' me is there are other guys without jobs who have more experience.

I just bought a house in Houston last year, so I really don't want to move. Besides my wife has a good job over here.

I've always found the best way is to have somebody put you in touch with the right people instead of just filling out an online application.

#7 ·
Dude, I'm in the same boat as you. I moved to Houston after Iraq thinking I'd be able to get a job easy in the medical field. Still no luck. You are right about knowing people to get you a hook up for a job because the whole workforce is tight.

You have to apply online, answer a whole bunch of questionaires that supposively reflects what kind of person you are, etc etc etc.

I'm hoping I get this job at this new clothing line store that opens in late Feb or working at Target because right now I need something to pay the bills somehow. Pretty sad.

#8 ·
Might talk to Dirty ole man. Thiers a refinery project going on over by his parts. Supposed to BIG. like I heard that they are trying to triple the amount of crude they can refine per day. dunno? Might be some turn arounds going at the refineries to. easy money.

#10 ·
It would be great if Fab/Offroad would sustain 2 or 3 people ...

But this unConomy is sh!t right now.

I want to open up a shop.

Even with regular auto service, it would be tough right now.

I would love to tell my boss to Suck my Mig...and walk out.2finger

#11 ·
i would love to also start my own shop but i dont want to fall flat on my butt. hell i know we are hiring and sent tawl's stuff to my boss and that didnt do anything for him.

#12 ·
Bell Helicopter is hiring, but it is up here in Ft. Worth (Hurst).

#14 ·
Had an interview today. It went good. I have a followup interview Thursday.

My buddy's a helicopter pilot instructor. I have been thinking about getting licensed if there's a decent demand for pilots. I've always wanted to fly.

But I'm hopin' this sales job will pan out.

#15 ·
i dont think chopper polits make that much money. we fly out to the rigs and i think the polits make around 40-50K. i could be wrong.

i also think being a chopper polit would be a blast

brandon

#20 ·
I'm not a licensed psychologist.

I was a football player and a feakin' tough school and Psyc was once of the few subjects I found interesting enough to do all the reading for.

I also took alot of sculpture because I got to weld. The prof did metal sculpture and he loved me. I actually taught him somethings about welding.

I never was the suit and tie/desk job kind of guy.

But I already have 17 hours of flying under my belt, and I should find out today if I get a fab job for a reputable shop that will work with my flying.

Wish me luck.

#21 ·
Good luck!

#22 ·
Good luck.

I cant even get a straight answer out of most temp companys or a call back on a timely manner from most of them.. I found most companys use temp companys because they only have a small amount of work so they use you then out the door. Plus they dont have to deal with you face to face.
It mite be different for a white collar jobs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.