Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took off work early last night because there wasn't much going on and it looked to be a long night. The kids had gone with their older sister to spend the night. We got to talking and I figured it would be a good time to be home with my wife. On the trip home I started to get the feeling she wasn't alone though. I pulled into the drive and came up to the house. When I walked in look what I found in bed with her!!!

They were both asleep but woke up as I entered the room. Carrie told me that my oldest children's mother had been given the dog and she couldn't keep her. My kids had talked Carrie into letting it stay here until...

She's a Blue Heeler mix we're told about 8-10 weeks old. I don't think she's that old yet. I think we've decided her name will be Pebbles but not sure yet. She's a far cry from a Chocolate Lab but I understand these are just about as smart.

· Registered
281 Posts
beer And it won't take 2 arms to push her out of the drivers seat!!!! I've got 2 labs and they both think they can drive.

· Mas Tequila
14,889 Posts
Blue Heelers are good dawgs. she have glass eyes?

· Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1funny1

I've been reading up on them today. Every site I've been on says they need to be excersized physically and mentally or they will entertain themselves in ways I would not like.

I can't tell anything about her eyes yet. They are dark brown right now. I guess she's too young but one site described the pups as having 2 modes. 90 miles an hour and comatose. So far all we've seen in her is close to the second.

· Registered
1,740 Posts
My heeler was our entertainment nearly every evening. We'd watch his antics through the window out in the back yard. That dog could figure out how to get out of or into just about anything. He could jump a mile high, climb chain link fences, open gates, and much more. The fun was watching him figure all this stuff out.

He never ran off and never attacked anyone (but scared the hell outta strangers with his bark/growl); he just always believed there was something on the other side of that gate/fence/door that was way more interesting than things on this side.

· Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bet he was a hoot to watch. I've read similar stories today. Carrie just said "Oh Lord" when I read what your dog would do.

· Registered
4,993 Posts
My wife says if you can pick him up, and roll him over on his back like a little baby and he just lays there, he is very trainable. If on the other hand he fights you and want lay there he'll be hard to train.

· Registered
1,740 Posts
mudgod said:
My wife says if you can pick him up, and roll him over on his back like a little baby and he just lays there, he is very trainable. If on the other hand he fights you and want lay there he'll be hard to train.
Does this "predictor" work for all puppies? Just puppies? If I meet an interesting woman, will this predictor work as well on her?

· Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In my reading, frizbees, cases of tennis balls and something called a boomer ball are required equipment for these dogs. The boomer ball is large and solid plastic and therefore harder for her to destroy while herding it around the yard. popcornn

· Registered
3,773 Posts
great dogs i have a 6mo old named Rosco .... love to ride in the cruiser and yes the love to run get her chews also ... mine plays catch with him self all the time ... if its going to come in side br forwarned they shed ALOT

· Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He just wanted to keep you moving. Good looking pup. bigok

don't know if she's going to end up coming in the house but for now she will. she's just too small for being outside.

· Registered
3,773 Posts
Jeepndav said:
He just wanted to keep you moving. Good looking pup. bigok

don't know if she's going to end up coming in the house but for now she will. she's just too small for being outside.
Rosco was just stayin in for 3 month bsflg ... he still in at night out during the day the hair isnt bad at first .... just a fyi... and thanks I like him too he's great and smart too.

· Comfortable
5,012 Posts
Good lookin pup. I once had a red/blue heeler mix,awsome cow dog & even better 'kid' dog.He once took 4 bites from a rattle snake that was too close to my son,just to kill it.his head swelled up like a fat football but a week or two later was his same ol self.I wish I had another just like him....good luck,they are a handfull(most "good" dogs are...)

· Premium Member
3,564 Posts
We were on a service call one time and the people had one. He was going crazy with a five gallon bucket. He'd stick his head in it and run around the yard then throw it around a bit then run around some more. It was pretty entertaining.

· Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It looks like we'll be keeping her. I'm looking forward to her getting old enough to follow me around the yard. We'll probably keep her in at night if she's half of what their reputation is. I'd feel better knowing she's on duty when I'm working nights. Here's a shot of her taking a break today:

I still think she's younger than we were told. She doesn't seem comfortable eating puppy food. The only time she got somewhat excited today, other than sitting in the Jeepster, was when we were out by the chicken coop.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.