Texas 4x4 Forum banner

How would you fix your NP208 slip yoke problem?

• Weld the slip yoke to the output shaft and install a slip joint in the drive shaft.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just install a slip joint in the drive shaft.

• Buy a better T-Case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking on the web, and can't seam to find one out there. Has anyone run across one of these?
Also I need some ideas on what to do to my drive. The last two times I took the K50 I boke the rear drive shaft. I can't do that everytime I go out. I don't like taking the by-passes, so I need to do something else with this set-up. If it was your rig, what would you do.

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Some people have taken the back half of a dodge 208 and put it on a chevy 208. I dont know all the details, but it has been covered on ck5 a few times that i know of.

·
Mas Tequila
18,256 Posts
bet bet is to swap it out for a fixed yoke. either get a 241 and install the SYE or go with a 205. you don't want a hack and tap.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hack and Tap 1funny1

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
fwiw, i do have a fixed yoke 208 that is a hybrid between chevy and dodge that i am going to put in my 88 blazer, before i found it i was looking for a 241 to use :cool:

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jeff,

That is cool. you get the 2.6:1 low gear of the 208, the light weight, and your T-case is 9" shorter than my, which will give you better drive angles on your drive shaft.

Do you know how it was put to get there? Or better yet, why isn't there someone out there selling this? I'm not the only one with a superflexy rig braking driveshafts.

Xanthias,

The doubler would give me a 3.91:1 low range gear in the T-case. That is a small gain and would make the rig better, but I might have to weigh that gain and the money against something that comes with a 4:1 already. I think Rastus is right, just go ahead and buy something that I'll be proud of and will work.

And on top of that I still need a new drive shaft! If anybody see a write up on the 208 chevy/dodge hybrid thing I need it. Might be able to that for a couple buck cheaper.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
IMO, ditch the 208 and invest in the doubler. Your not only gaining lower gears but alot of strength. The 203 (range box portion) and 205 are all gear units. No chain to slip or break. You can do the doubler for under 2 grand or even 1500 if you get your parts cheap enough and do the labor yourself.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like I'm dead in the water. The wife told me today after reading Old Goat post, not to do anything else to the K50 untill I installed an AtlasII or something like it. Then she told me I can't put any more money in the Blazer untill after I have bought her a house, so I want be seeing any trails untill then. Thanks alot Old Goat! I'll get a better rig, but I'll mess the summer runs. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts