Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
coolbigok I knew they were gonna be doing that just wasn't sure when it would air.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
"Most run on propane"

It's good exposure for the sport, a positive story about the sport, but once again journalists show they do little to no research on the facts of their story. If one expert says it, no need to check with a varied sample of other experts. And they get away with it because most folks do not have intimate knowledge of [insert story subject here] and therefore cannot dispute the facts. I know Randy is a propane seller and we saw a bit of what he had to say, but he never said "most run on propane." That only came from the reporter. Maybe Randy said it. Maybe she mis-heard him say something similar but different. Or maybe it would take too much story time to be explicit about propane's use. We don't know. But we sure as heck know that MOST DON'T run on propane, but MANY (most?) do run on some kind of injection today, right? So the reporter kinda sorta had the right idea in general but was pretty much wrong on the details, wouldn't you say?

Let me be clear: I am not bashing the story, I am not bashing the reporter, I am not bashing the station, I am not bashing Katemcy, I am not bashing Kruse, I am not bashing propane, I am not bashing jeeps, I am not bashing toyotas, I am not bashing rock buggies.

I am pointing out an element of sloppy journalism so that when you see a story about something you know nothing about, keep in mind how accurate the news media is when they report on something you do know about. A mistake or omission on one critical but small fact can radically alter a story's interpretation by its readers/viewers. Someone who knows little to nothing about our sport and believes everything they see on TV would now believe that everyone who does rockcrawlin' is getting rid of their carburetor and opting for propane.

And keep this in mind when you go wheelin' at the big construction site behind Walmart (or where ever) and somebody gets hurt. Would the reporter state "everyone does it, these boys were minding their own business" or would they state "he had no permission to be there; police are investigating whether or not tresspassing charges will be filed."

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
sweeeet,,,,,bigok

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Hatch said:
"Most run on propane"

It's good exposure for the sport, a positive story about the sport, but once again journalists show they do little to no research on the facts of their story. If one expert says it, no need to check with a varied sample of other experts. And they get away with it because most folks do not have intimate knowledge of [insert story subject here] and therefore cannot dispute the facts. I know Randy is a propane seller and we saw a bit of what he had to say, but he never said "most run on propane." That only came from the reporter. Maybe Randy said it. Maybe she mis-heard him say something similar but different. Or maybe it would take too much story time to be explicit about propane's use. We don't know. But we sure as heck know that MOST DON'T run on propane, but MANY (most?) do run on some kind of injection today, right? So the reporter kinda sorta had the right idea in general but was pretty much wrong on the details, wouldn't you say?

Let me be clear: I am not bashing the story, I am not bashing the reporter, I am not bashing the station, I am not bashing Katemcy, I am not bashing Kruse, I am not bashing propane, I am not bashing jeeps, I am not bashing toyotas, I am not bashing rock buggies.

I am pointing out an element of sloppy journalism so that when you see a story about something you know nothing about, keep in mind how accurate the news media is when they report on something you do know about. A mistake or omission on one critical but small fact can radically alter a story's interpretation by its readers/viewers. Someone who knows little to nothing about our sport and believes everything they see on TV would now believe that everyone who does rockcrawlin' is getting rid of their carburetor and opting for propane.

And keep this in mind when you go wheelin' at the big construction site behind Walmart (or where ever) and somebody gets hurt. Would the reporter state "everyone does it, these boys were minding their own business" or would they state "he had no permission to be there; police are investigating whether or not tresspassing charges will be filed."
smokin cool

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
Sweet!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts