Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever used a Harbor Freight pipe bender to bend tubing? I'm planning on using 1 3/4 (.095 wall) tubing for the roll cage on the scout. I have access to a pipe bender, and the 1 1/2 die is very close to the same as 1 3/4 tubing. What is I was to fill the tubing with sand? Would that keep it from kinking?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I would not use it.You can have a piece of tubing bent to your spec alot cheaper than buying the pipe bender.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what I was afraid you would say, but I was hoping for a "no problem it will work" type answer.. Thanks guys

·
Registered
695 Posts
UMMM.. No problem! It will work. nonon nonon :) If you are in the DFW call Myk. I am sure he can bend anything you need bent. Nice guy.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hatch said:
You will waste a lot of expensive tubing if you try to bend it in a pipe bender.

fixed

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
thanks jj!

the reason why the pipe bender will not work is because pipe and tube are measured differently. pipe is measured by inside diamter and tube is measured od.

what this means is that you will not have a die that will fit the tube properly and it will cause the tube to distort and flatten on all your bends.

the less distortion you have in your bend the stronger it will be.

so if you want to do this YES it will work but i wouldn't recomend it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
That is great advice!!! I used a tubing bender to fab the subframe mounts for my rollcage, have a pic somewhere in my SFO gallery. IF you don't have the correct doohicky for the OD of the tubing you're trying to bend, you will have flat spots or kinks. I borrowed the proper tool from a local machine shop for a case of beer as long as I need to use it ( the bender, that is).

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Justshootme84 said:
That is great advice!!! I used a tubing bender to fab the subframe mounts for my rollcage, have a pic somewhere in my SFO gallery. IF you don't have the correct doohicky for the OD of the tubing you're trying to bend, you will have flat spots or kinks. I borrowed the proper tool from a local machine shop for a case of beer as long as I need to use it ( the bender, that is).
thats a pipe bender not a tube bender

link to tubing bender
http://www.tubeshark.com/

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Dont get me wrong I goin to use a pipe crusher on my "tube " fenders and hood bar ... maybe even doors for the dawg cause I cant afford the tubing stuff .... cage WILL be the real deal ...Metaltech or Brutal Offroad ... no poop pipe there ;)

·
Registered
477 Posts
paul, if you need some stuff bent i have a buddy with a bender just 45 minutes from lubbock, im sure he wouldnt charge much at all for ya. hes got the 1.75 die too, just let me know if you want to go down there to bend some stuff up and we can do that

wes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.