Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We had a blast. Some friends of mine and I went yesterday. I took the Scout and one of the guys (Mike) took his built yj. His friend and rider went on his first wheeling trip as well as his first roll. lol We did some trails that really challenged my scout and my listening and driving skills. The truck did awesome and we only had a few minor problems.

Things went pretty well for a couple hours until my friend was running a trail and the back half of his jeep fell into a hole and had to be winched out. I took a different line to avoid the hole which took me a few passes to get up. I finally got up into the harder part and was romping on it pretty good until it got hot and blew a small hole in the radiator. Instead of trying to damage the engine I took a pull from the strap and got up the trail. During lunch I put some stop leak in the rad. and fixed the leak.

After lunch we headed back out and ran the rest of the trails along with some new ones we just had to try. We went down a washout with a bunch of rock and really loose dirt. Mike went first in the yj without too much trouble then I went down. I found out afterwards that Bryan, my spotter, was trying to roll me at the end but luckily I didnt.

We decided to go back up the same trail, which proved to be a real challenge. Mike went first and had a hard time getting over a vertical rock with loose sand in front of it. A running start and some throttle finally got him over it. He didnt have much trouble after that until the top. When he got to the top he was over too far and his rear tire slid off into a washout causing him to do a back roll landing on his side. He had his dog riding with him, which narrowly missed being crushed by the cage.

We got it back on its tires and running with the help of a couple of winches. It was my turn next. I went higher on the side to try to avoid the vertical rock, it helped some but I didnt completely avoid it. I got past that and was trying to ride the wall to stay out of a washout when the truck slid off and right into the washout I was trying to avoid. That's when I found out that my carb doesnt like to run on its side. I only had power from a few cylinders and not much from them. Bryan bounced on the pass. side and got it to hit enough to move once in a while. I eventually backed out of it and took a different line to get past it. It was smooth sailing after that. I was careful to avoid the crack that caused the jeep to roll.

We ran a couple of the usual trails after that then went looking for something more challenging. We didnt have much luck so we sat in the shade for a while (we were pretty toasty from being in the sun all day) then headed home.

Here is a link to some pics, keep checking, I dont think they are all up yet. http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/ohv/view_album.php?&set_albumName=album190

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Looks like ya'll had a blast! Great pics. beer

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
good pics, but what is the advantage to running the baja claws backwards on the jeep or is it my imagination?

·
Registered
379 Posts
they run them backwards to get more grip with um.....suppose to dig better with them on backwards....if it works i have no idea, but i've seen few rock buddies run them like that....so im sure it does.

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More pics were added today.

·
Registered
477 Posts
more lateral stability with them backwards. basically the points of the rocks you are on will slip to the middle of the tire with them this way is what i have been told, dont know if it really works.

wes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts