Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
as most of you know i bought chuy's blazer from him, the problems im having are as follows; we started it drove it around, drove it up on the trailer, it would never start again, changed the fuel pump, 30 gallons of gas in it. sprayed starting fluid in it, starts right up runs on starting fluid, carb is flowing no gas, take it to earnhard's and sons to have the carb rebuilt, he says the main body on the quadrjet is corroded to much to use, so i found a new main body, and he puts it on the blazer, it starts and back fires, blows flames out of the intake. he says the firing order is wrong, (it ran before just fine) so he moves 2 plug wires and then starts it, same thing back firing and sputtering. then he places sak5's carb on their and same thing. So now he tells me he thinks the timing chain is stretched or the distributor is bad... i hooked the trailer up and left the shop. The motor is a gen vi 454 big block it has 3-5 trips on the new motor, so there is nothing wrong with the motor. any ideas or anyone want to look at it for me after the rains over?
steve

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
Double check the firing order. 18436572. Check your spark plug wires. Make sure the distributor hold down is tight. Did he reuse the timing chain? Personally, I dont see Chuy reusing an old timing chain. What kind of distributor is it? If it is an old stock distributor the inner shaft sometimes gets sticky(or completely stuck) and the advance wont work. Then you only have one timing set, either it is hard to start and runs like a champ or it's easy to start and runs like a turd.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will do tomorrow, there is no advance on that motor it needs to be set at 32-30 degrees timing to run right being a natural gas pump motor, its a accel hei distributor, i talked to chuy and think that charles being a normal chevy guy tried to set it with the vaccum hooked up and it dose not have enough timing
thanks again

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you have had carb problems such as flooding...change the plugs before you replace anything. I have chased problems before like you explain just to end up with it being fouled plugs.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Sounds like timing to me. Could be 180 out. 30-32* is total timing. Initial should only be 8-12* w/o the vac. hooked up.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Sounds like timing to me. Could be 180 out. 30-32* is total timing. Initial should only be 8-12* w/o the vac. hooked up.
It was running when it was put on the trailer how could it be 180 out?? Start from scratch pull #1 plug turn the engine over till it blows compresion out the plug hole. Then turn the engine by hand till the marks line up. Take the cap off and see where the rotor is pointing. Mark the dis housing so you can see the mark with the cap on, put the cap back on and make sure # 1 is close to your mark. if not the dis turned or the chain jumped. Hope it turned. While you have the cap off grab the rotor and see if you can move it by hand it should move clockwise then spring back about 12-18 degrees. thats normal mechanical advance for a big block dis. Again 18436572 clock wise.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
When I replied, I didn't pay attention that it ran before. beer Just giving options.

Follow Elcaminoman's tips and you should be able to figure out pretty quick what the issue is.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i re did the wires, they were off, i replaced the spark plugs and put the rebuilt carb on here, and cranked it over, not a pop or anything, so my question is off of this picture can anyone give me a rough idea of where to turn the distributor too to make it about right, just for a rough start? i was told this motor runs at 32 degrees of timing with no vacuum advance at all

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
so my question is off of this picture can anyone give me a rough idea of where to turn the distributor too to make it about right, just for a rough start?
Turn it clockwise little by little and try to start everytime you turn it until it fires up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes i know its sparking good cause it would run off of gas down the carb or starting fluid, and it didnt hesitate to blow flames out of the pre-rebuilt carb ill mess with it tomorrow, i want to go pick up the set of diy msd wires and build new wires my self
anyone want to come by during the week?

·
Registered
263 Posts
The motor is a gen vi 454 big block it has 3-5 trips on the new motor, so there is nothing wrong with the motor.
Don't bet the farm on that. Flat lobes, or a wiped out cam will cause those exact same symptoms. And camshafts that fail will do it soon after a rebuild, and very quickly.

Quit farting with the distributor and pull off your valve covers. Wiggle the rocker arms and see if any are more loose than the others. Turn the engine over 1 turn and check them again.

With the coil unpluged, have someone crank the engine over and watch the rocker arms move up and down. They should all move the same amount.

If you have a any loose rocker arms, or valves that aren't opening all the way, you have bigger problems than your firing order.

·
camel humper
1,920 Posts
Are you sure you are getting fuel to the new carb now/have you tried to pour gas down it after you put it on? It may be just a simple fuel problem now if you don't have any fire at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts