Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how this ram is supposed to come apart? It had a little cover plate on the end that I already took off, there was also a snap ring around the inner edge of the housing. I havent been able to get it out and need to know if it's pressed or screwed in. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Comfortable
5,347 Posts
That one looks to be a "screw-apart"....All the ones I have taken apart were much bigger,but had a ring with set screws on the outside.After the setscrews were loosened the ring unscrewed,then the shaft should slide right out.

We have had to send a couple 'o rams off for repair because disassembly had us bum-fuzzled :cool:

I would try a lil custom tool building. something that will allow you to screw bolts into the lil holes(or mini-studs)then turn the inner peice while holding the ram body in a vice or something similar,just dont pinch the outer body to hard.

Next step would be to ask a Hydro repair company for tips,some will help ya out.some will tell ya "bring it in"

Good luck,I have cussed a few of those boogers.Sometimes a guy just has to let the guys who get paid to repair 'em do there job.Still far cheaper than a new ram.

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No set screws that I can tell. The only holes in it are the three bolt holes. It had a snap ring (like the big one that holds most locking hubs in) that I already took out, but I couldnt get anything to budge last night.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
spanner

A 3 pin spanner wrench would be cool but like mud said maybe custom build one, spray the end with PB Blaster to help loosen any rust too.

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got it out. It was pressed in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.