Texas 4x4 Forum banner

Refinery Jobs in Houston

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  54inches 
#1 ·
I am looking for an operator or maintenance position in the Baytown/Pasadena area, but I could drive.

Just checking to see what is out there as I want to change industries.

I have almost 9 years management experience and I am very mechanically inclined and don't mind starting at the bottom.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Unfortunately, the majority of the refineries and plants in this area require a minimum of a 2 year associates degree in process technology or equivalent experience. There are some that don't require the degree, mainly the smaller ones, but it's a way to get your foot in the door and some experience. Maintenance positions are few and far between due to the majority of them being contracted out, but these also require experience.

I have been working in the refinery for 17 years. I was an operator for over 12 years, and have been a training coordinator the past 5 years, and involved in the hiring and training process. So I'm speaking from experience.

#4 ·
I thought you had a College degree Adam?

#5 ·
I do. I have a Management degree, 14 years experience in Hotels and almost 9 in management.

I have some leads, but really just keeping my options open for more money and different experiences.

#8 ·
Don't forget about the Port Arthur area. It's not too far from Baytown. I know a couple dudes that have been hired for operations at Motiva and they had zero refinery experience.

I myself hate refineries. I avoid them like the plague.....

#9 ·
Not much has changed. Went and spoke to a counselor and with my other degree it would take about a year......

I have two recruiters working with me and I have tested for MANY companies.

Knocked the Bennett out of the park.

Always score high on the tests, but no experience = no interview.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.