Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this over on http://pirate4x4.com so I thought I would copy it an do my own right up.

I had been looking for a cheaper alternative to what was out there for catch cans and this fit the bill perfectly. You can once you have all the parts put one of these together in under 20 mins.

Bought a aluminum water bottle from the dollar tree for under a buck. these are perfect because the are threaded inside.

Got a nice air filter from vato zone, this was the most expensive part at 9.99, I need to find a cheaper place to buy these.

Also picked up a PCV filter while I was there like this, so when you tip or roller over it will close.

Went to Lowes and pick up a 3/4 by 3/8 black iron reducer, so I can thread in a 3/8 barbed fitting.

Drilled a hole with a 9/16 drill and stuck a grommet down in there.

Installed the PCV fitting from the mouth of the water bottle using a socket and an extension.

Put the air filter on top.

And the finished product, serves as an expansion tank, vent line, and in the event of a rollover will trap all the fluid then allow it to drain back down into the transfer case.

Link to my forum. http://www.patriot4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26&p=42#p42

·
Full speed...half lit
7,881 Posts
Very nifty! So the top of the bottle is threaded for 3/4 pipe thread?

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
Sweet!!!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
This is a really cool solution. I am thinking the same thing could be used for a radiator overflow which is where I thought you were going with it. Are you planning on building one for all the lube systems? My vent hoses are all routed to the firewall with a hard line "j" at the top but no catch or valve. I was thinking of simply using some kind of tip valve, but a pair of these with common fluids(diffs) converging into one vent might me an option for smaller packaging.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I will eventually make one for everything. I have also seen them used for a radiator overflow, and it came out awesome. I think it would work for you application perfectly, and the thing is pretty sturdy.

I plan on either mounting this one to the roll bar with pipe clamps, or welding a tab to the iron bushing and mounting that way.

·
Undele' vato
4,970 Posts
I missed this thread somehow. Pics no worky this morning.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Undele' vato
4,970 Posts
Hmmm, everything works at home...

·
Full speed...half lit
7,881 Posts
I'm waiting on you to do one for rad overflow. I don't have one and looking to copy someone. :toast:

·
Registered
422 Posts
bigokThanks for sharing! I'd seen this before but was kinda foggy on what all I needed to throw them together!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts