Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4,993 Posts
Texas lost over 7 millon in this last deal. I copyed the from letter. Remember have two Senators

[form letter to be sent to your U.S. Senator]

Senator [Senator’s name]

[address]

[date]

Dear Senator,

I live in your state and am an avid four wheel drive vehicle user. I am contacting you to ask that you ensure that the House-passed funding level for the Recreational Trails Program (RTP) is included in the HR 3 conference report for the final version of HR 3.

The RTP is a proven success, leveraging federal funds with volunteer labor, state trails funding generated through registration fees and gas taxes and private funds. The program relies on user fees paid by recreationists like me. However, under the current RTP, and under the Senate-passed version of HR 3, recreational trail users are unfair “donors” to other transportation programs, receiving just 18% of the taxes paid. Adopting the House-passed funding levels in the final bill will address this unfairness.

Please ensure that the final version of HR 3 includes the House-passed funding for the RTP program. This is a very important issue to me and I appreciate your attention to this matter.

Yours truly,

[Your name]

[Your address]

· Registered
2,038 Posts
why

Thanks for the heads up, glad soemone is watching. The letter is a great idea.
I wonder more every day why our leaders do what they do and just what are they thinking.
Why do we the working, taxpaying women and men of the USA continue to put up with our overspending government? If we all ran our households and businesses as our government is run we would be out on the street soon. It really makes me want to puke when I think about how much of OUR money goes to the federal, state and local government in the form of taxes. We get taxed for the college here for instance. Why is that? It charges money for people to attend, it is a for profit business. Why isn't there a tax for HPWireless? You know, if we just did away with the NASA program we could see that every man woman and child had health insurance for instance but, I guess a trip to the moon and mars is much more important. I am sure some would say we never would have had the technology we now have without NASA and I say hogwash because there were no plans to visit outer space when the phone was invented or electricity or the radio etc...
I rest assured in the thought that the 161 Million taken away wiill be wisely spent for jet trips to other countries to see how more of our jobs can be given away or sent overseas and for those much needed trips to tropical paradises by inland senators and congressmen and women to see how coastal waves affect island countries.
If taxpayers really knew just how much taxes are payed on top of witholding it would make you sick too. In my business for instance there is a minimum of 13.6% extra you pay in telecommunications taxes. Look at your phone bill sometime and check out all the extra taxes. Several of us in Texas in the communication business tried to fight the extra taxes years ago but guess who won.
Just a few thoughts.

· Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keep in mind:

RTP is funded with higway gas tax money. It's the gas you burn on the trail! A portion already MUST go to hiking and horse trails, so us motorized users already get shafted [cuz I'm pretty sure hikers and riders don't drink gasoline from their canteens]. And now the feds are considering NOT letting us have a chance to spend a big chunk of that HIGHWAY money on the kind of "highway" we like to play on!!!

· Mas Tequila
14,889 Posts
yup, I don't think them horses drink petrol...

actually got a letter back from one of the Senators about SB1311

· Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's now a Blue Ribbon Alert. They have a no-brainer way to send an email to our Senators. I recommend a quick scan of the message before you send it. I made a few little changes and added a little of my own stuff to it:

I just took action on this issue and thought you might find it
interesting too.

Click on this URL to take action now
http://capwiz.com/share/utr/2/?a=7671861&i=1706027

If your email program does not recognize the URL as a link,
copy the entire URL and paste it into your Web browser.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.