Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hacck welder fightte Just how much clearence DO you need??? trying to turn my skid plate from a mud scoop/ anchor in to a useful protection. is .5 - .75" enough?? Less??? 3/16 material minimum will be used I want to cover transmission and T-Case. popcornn

·
OOOsahhh
3,905 Posts
I think mine is .5 with a factory style setup.3/16 should do just fine with dual crossmembers.welder

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since this is going on a jeep, any ideas on how much the plate/ mounting adds to the rigidity of the frame? I guess basicaly does this hold the middle still? since it has 3 bolts down each side and doubles for the tranny mount. I've seen about a dozen designs from different companies but none say they have them for the Unlimiteds. Gawd I hate being a guine pig.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
plate

Mine is also 1/2" from the xfer case and tranny at the closest point/ factorey setup. If you will PM Bruiser he could probably look up tensile strength for certain thicknesses of plate if you catch him before he changes jobs. IMHO though 3.16" should be strong enough and help with strengthening the frame integrity as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
if you get the demitions or have the stock one i would like to borrow them from you because i threw the one on my 94 cherokee away when i put the tow bar on it and now when it gets lifted i would like to use a press break and the laser at work to cut and bend me one, you can get the specs. i would work somthing out with you to get two made.
steve
210-232-6175

1 - 5 of 5 Posts