Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
mudgod has it on the back of his blazer. Marv Springer is on here from time to time you might pm him.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've installed one and we took it out and played. I was real impressed with the droop, of course, but after 20 minutes of playtime, he had already bent a ford 57. I'm using some 56's and junk yard spring hangers that cost me $20 with the same results.

springer with 57's and 4 inch springs up front (35's)...
album

mine... junkyard hangers with 56's and 4 inch springs up front (36's)...
album

of course, here it is again with some 52's up front (42's)...

·
Mas Tequila
18,252 Posts
Wasn't Duke running the springer setup as well??

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
I have one on my blazer. It has cost me two drive shafts so far, because of axle wrap. I just right now got through installing a traction bar on my axle and will taking it to Barnwell tomorrow for some hard core testing. http://mo-offroad.com/ This link is for Missouri offroad outfitters, they own the patent to it now. The Flex is great!

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
I dont see what the point is in having so much flex that you cant even keep a driveshaft or springs in it.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey mudgod let me know how it works.
i dont know to buy to get more flex. i was also looking SPRING ROCKER.
right now i have a 8inch bds suspension & it flexs great but know i want
more. ITS LIKE A DRUG ADDICTION. ONCE YOU DO IT YOU WANT MORE!

·
Mas Tequila
18,252 Posts
4x4Freak said:
I dont see what the point is in having so much flex that you cant even keep a driveshaft or springs in it.
I agree.

Duke got axle wrap so bad it ripped out his entire driveline almost. busted his transmission, transfer case, rear springs, brakelines and more. I think he is now going a different route.

·
Mas Tequila
18,252 Posts
primetimek5 said:
hey mudgod let me know how it works.
i dont know to buy to get more flex. i was also looking SPRING ROCKER.
right now i have a 8inch bds suspension & it flexs great but know i want
more. ITS LIKE A DRUG ADDICTION. ONCE YOU DO IT YOU WANT MORE!
If you want your K5 to flex, put the 52" springs up front and 56" springs in the rear, (out of a 1 ton or surburban) Want an example of flexability, look at RVreddogs K5. Or call me and I can tell ya all about it.. :)

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
First off it doesn't work. You will get all the flex you want, but you need to control the axle wrap. In the system you are asking about the back of the back springs have an extar hinge. Like this.

You can see in the pics how the whole axle is alowed to drop down. Sounds good right? That part does work that way. The bad part is when you are on a hill going up, it will let the axle wrap up on you. Think about this, you give the blazer some gas. The drive shaft starts to turn the wheels. If the wheels don't want to turn, the pinion will start to wrap up. Most lift springs will stop this from happening to bad, but the system you are talking about uses 57" ford springs. They give the truck 4-5" of lift, but are very soft and will bend easly. And also as the pinion starts to wrap up there is nothing to arrest that movement, like you get from lift springs. Most of the time the weight of the truck will stop it, but when you get up on a hill your back end will start hopping. When that happens your drive shafts will start breaking.
Rastus told you the best way to get the most flex out of a blazer with leaf springs. Micah truck is set up like that. If you want to go all the way 4-link it! Here is some shots of my flex.

If Money isn't a prob. Call the web site I posted up earler. They have a traction bar that mounts over the axle to stop axle wrap. Or you could build a traction bar.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Micah I love the pic of your truck in the ditch! Its what inspired me to do 56's and 63's. Speaking of which, what does everyone think of 63's in the rear? I have a pack out of a dually that I am going to take all but 4 leaves out to run in the rear and then use a 7 or 8" long lowrider shackle.

·
Mas Tequila
18,252 Posts
micah said:
no, I don't think so.
oh ok, I thought he was running the 57" Ford spring setup in the rear of his K5.

·
OOOsahhh
3,905 Posts
Rastus said:
oh ok, I thought he was running the 57" Ford spring setup in the rear of his K5.

He was running Ford 57s in the rear,but not with that hinge thingy. nonon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.