Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this? How did it turn out? Was it harder than ceramice tile or easier? Cost? Any info?

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
I did my whole house with it about 3 years ago. Still have it in the kitchen and entry way. It was super easy to apply, but the prep is the hardest part. It's just like any kind of staining or painting, it's all in the prep work. I could have done a little better job on the prep, so mine didn't turn out as well as my wife that it should have. However I'm happy with it and like it alot. It's got a rough look to it. It does wear in high traffic areas so make sure you put a real good sealer on it. Also if you change your mind and want to go with ceramic tile you will have to sand all the stain off, the moter you use for tile won't stick to it. In our living room and 2 of our bedrooms we just laid carpert over it. I think between the stain itself and sealer we spent under 400 bucks, but like I said this was 3 years ago. I'm sure it's probably gone up since it has become more popular recently.

Here is a link to the site of what I used.
http://www.kemiko.com/

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bruiser said:
I did my whole house with it about 3 years ago. Still have it in the kitchen and entry way. It was super easy to apply, but the prep is the hardest part. It's just like any kind of staining or painting, it's all in the prep work. I could have done a little better job on the prep, so mine didn't turn out as well as my wife that it should have. However I'm happy with it and like it alot. It's got a rough look to it. It does wear in high traffic areas so make sure you put a real good sealer on it. Also if you change your mind and want to go with ceramic tile you will have to sand all the stain off, the moter you use for tile won't stick to it. In our living room and 2 of our bedrooms we just laid carpert over it. I think between the stain itself and sealer we spent under 400 bucks, but like I said this was 3 years ago. I'm sure it's probably gone up since it has become more popular recently.

Here is a link to the site of what I used.
http://www.kemiko.com/

would you mind taking pics of yours for me? is there any special tools I need to buy? or do you want to sell the ones that you used and recoup some of your money?

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
I will get some pics up by tomorrow. Only special tools I needed was the ones for getting up the old floor in the kitchen. It was that vinyl stuff and you have to scrap it up because it's held in place with glue. I bought a small and large floor scrapper from Lowes. The small one was like 10 bucks and the large was 80 bucks. Blades are cheap too. Actually you can rent both of those scrappers from most tile stores. You are more than welcome to borrow either one or both, but I don't want to sell either of them.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
concrete

Call your grandfather 9036227664, he did his whole floor at the restaurant all by himself and you know it must not have been too expensive since penny pinching runs in the family.

Oldgoats father = bigtime penny picher
Oldgoat = penny pincher extreme
Oldgoats son = penny pincher trainee

·
Mas Tequila
18,256 Posts
OldGoat said:
Oldgoats father = bigtime penny picher
Oldgoat = penny pincher extreme
Oldgoats son = penny pincher trainee
:rofl: 1funny1

·