Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
OOOsahhh
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Auto Zone to exchange my starter,and the guy at the counter asked me what it was! I thought he was asking what it was off of but he really didn`t know it was a starter! I still don`t have a new one cause they couldn`t find me in the computer. I`ve only been dealing with that store for three years.banghead I wish now that I would have bought it anywhere else!

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Yep, they have some mighty fine folks working in auto parts stores these days.:rolleyes:

·
Mas Tequila
18,256 Posts
and you're such a jocular fella... did you tell him a joke while you was there??? :rofl:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
interesting

It is really frustrating when you go in to buy a bolt or wahser or a wheel stud for instance. because of their computer they HAVE to know what it is going on, God forbid you should just pull a make and model of vehicle out of thin air and it does not match in the computer!
Ask for a dial indicator- what is that?
Ask for a Noid light- what is that?
Ask for one of the sockets with the special cut out to remove an O2 sensor- what is that?
Ask for a good ol' regular spark plug, not a platinum, not gold tipped etc...

Now I get folks in my store and since we no longer sell the actual post paid cellphones- only pre-paid, the very next question is WHY not, I want to just scream, BECAUSE WE DO NOT SELL THEM ANY LONGER AS I JUST TOLD YOU!
BUT, why not? AAAARRRRRRR!
Then there are those who even though they are told to replace their pager battery with a alkaline cell only, continue to replace them with a regular non alkaline and then get angry because the pager does not get a page. These are the same ones who are told to replace the battery every month but say " I only replace mine every 2 or 3 months". BUT, I have been missing pages for 2 months, DUH wonder why??? And then there are the ones who flush their pager or cellphone, or go swimming with it or wash it in the washer and expect it to still work.
I could go on but, I have to go pull the rest of my hair out now. Then I need to get out my crayons and write my suicide note lol .

·
Mas Tequila
18,256 Posts
My pager just quit working........

·
OOOsahhh
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OldGoat said:
It is really frustrating when you go in to buy a bolt or wahser or a wheel stud for instance. because of their computer they HAVE to know what it is going on, God forbid you should just pull a make and model of vehicle out of thin air and it does not match in the computer!
Ask for a dial indicator- what is that?
Ask for a Noid light- what is that?
Ask for one of the sockets with the special cut out to remove an O2 sensor- what is that?
Ask for a good ol' regular spark plug, not a platinum, not gold tipped etc...

Now I get folks in my store and since we no longer sell the actual post paid cellphones- only pre-paid, the very next question is WHY not, I want to just scream, BECAUSE WE DO NOT SELL THEM ANY LONGER AS I JUST TOLD YOU!
BUT, why not? AAAARRRRRRR!
Then there are those who even though they are told to replace their pager battery with a alkaline cell only, continue to replace them with a regular non alkaline and then get angry because the pager does not get a page. These are the same ones who are told to replace the battery every month but say " I only replace mine every 2 or 3 months". BUT, I have been missing pages for 2 months, DUH wonder why??? And then there are the ones who flush their pager or cellphone, or go swimming with it or wash it in the washer and expect it to still work.
I could go on but, I have to go pull the rest of my hair out now. Then I need to get out my crayons and write my suicide note lol .

So...............What you are saying is it`s my fault. And just why don`t you sell them?1funny1

·
Mas Tequila
18,256 Posts
:rofl:

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
My first job ever was making burgers and fries and Burger King, which has nothing to do with this thread. But my second job was at a local auto parts (long ago put out of business by the likes of AutoZone and others). I was 16.

Job interview went something like this:
BOSS: What are mains?
HATCH: Bearings on the crankshaft.
BOSS: What are inserts?
HATCH: Rod bearings, I think.
BOSS: What's a short block?
HATCH: A rebuilt engine; the main part; no heads, intake, pan, pump.
BOSS: What's a long block?
HATCH: Add cylinder heads to a short block; sometimes other parts too.
BOSS: When can you start?

That was 1976. Those days (of a counter man having to know something about wrenching before being hired) are long gone. Oh yeah, paper catalogs too. And I could find parts just as fast (if not faster) as they can today with computers.

There's an OReillys near me that has a counter man that knows how to go to the paper catalog when the computer won't pull up a listing for what I need. I like to shop there when I'm not exactly certain what the source vehicle is for the part I need.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
parts

You are right Hatch. It is a matter of being educated or at least informed and motivated to perform your job. We think at the time when we graduate high school or university or trade school or hamburger "U", the man or woman giving the commencement speech is just eating into our graduation party time and they do not know what they are talking about. The man at my graduation did say one thing I shall remember always. "If you are going to be a doctor be the best one, if you are a banker be the best one, if you want to dig ditches make sure they are the best around" and of course what he meant was do not be sloppy or unconcerned about the work you do.
I know it is tough at a $6 an hour job, been there, to stay focused and be the best you can be and do the best you can. However, if that job is too much for a person to handle what is going to happen when they are responsible for a much more important job?
Having employed a dozen or so individuals it is still amazing to note the difference in attitude of people toward their job. Some of my boys have gone on to make a good contribution. One even holds several patents for Radio design systems. One is practically supervising the maintenance work at his company and that guy is only 25. Others just do not cut it nor do they care.
A rant, sure but, pride in our work is not something to laugh at.

·
Super Moderator
6,117 Posts
Reddog, PM me your phone number, what it's for, and a part number if you have it. I'll see if I can find something tomorrow when I go to work. Also give me your first and last name and zip code in case I need to try some different searches.

·
Super Moderator
6,117 Posts
Hey Old Goat, I dropped my cell phone in the toilet, then the dog chewed it up, then left it in the street where an 18 wheeler ran over it. I dont know why it wont work, can you fix it? And why dont you sell them anymore?

·
Registered
72 Posts
The dumb look I got when I went into the local auto zone and said I had a 78 F-150 front axle hanging under my 93 F-150 and needed some lines to hook up the brakes, I pretty much figured I wouldn't be leaving with what I needed...

On a side note, I have an old cell phone, a nokia 8890, that was dropped in a sink full of water.....

and it still works... :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts