Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will this work? i mean will everything bolt right up or is there any changes i needa make.
if it will work does any one know where i can find one at a good price?
thanks guys.

·
Full speed...half lit
7,882 Posts
I think the nv4500 is a hair longer, maybe 1 or 1 1/2 inches IIRC

When I was looking for an nv4500 the cheepest one I found was $700 and that was used. Seems like folks are proud of them. I picked up my 465 for $50 and that was with a hydro bellhousing.

·
One day closer to finish!
3,791 Posts
will this work? i mean will everything bolt right up or is there any changes i needa make.
if it will work does any one know where i can find one at a good price?
thanks guys.
I am in the process of doing this exact swap.

There are two different style of GM NV4500's. They are:

92-95 has a 6.34:1 low, unique bell housing bolt pattern to GM, and a bottle top aluminum shifter. Reverse gear is not syncronized

95-up has 5.61:1 low, shared bell housing bolt pattern with Dodge, new square shift top, reverse syncronized.

ONLY 4WD VERSIONS WILL WORK. NO 2WD!!!

NV4500 stock bell housing will not be able to be used in 73-87 trucks since the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder is on the passenger side. It will interfere with the drive shaft. SM465 bell housing will not bolt up. You will need to use an Advance Adapters Bell Housing.

First, you must know if your engine is pre-1986, or post-1986, as the crank area is different and is addressed in the different versions of bell housings available.

For the 92-95 version, you will need Advance Adapters 712577 Bell Housing and should you choose to use hydraulics instead of mechanical linkage, you will also need Advance Adapters 715535 Slave cylinder bracket. I believe their bell housing will work with the mechanical linkage. You need to call them to confirm.

For the 95-up version, you will need Advance Adapters 712576 or 712586 Bell Housing. Same issue with the linkage applies.

Click Here for Advance Adapters Transmission to Engine options.

If you choose to go with a hydraulic set-up, you will need:

1986 Clutch Master Cylinder- Dorman CM39732
1986 Clutch Slave Cylinder - Dorman CS37791
1986 Clutch Hydraulic Hose - Dorman H38559
1985-1987 Hydraulic Clutch Pedal Assembly (mechanical pedal can be modified)

GM NV4500's are 10 spline input, 32 spline output. Any 32 spline 205 (circular), 208, 241 and 243 transfer case, passenger side drop, will work.

I got my NV4500 through All State Gear here in San Antonio. Contact David and let him know I referred you. He'll cut you a great deal. www.allstategear.com

You will need to get the shifter boot assembly and shifter for the transmission as well. GM to GM only as they use a different thread than Dodge.

Cross members that will work are the single hump or double hump from the late 70's and mid 80's. The straight across will not work with this application.

Back up switch plugs are compatible through 95.

You will need to modify the center hump in the truck as the SM465 shifter is forward on the tranny top, while the NV4500 is rearward on the tranny top.

No driveshaft modifications should be necessary as the SM465 and the NV4500 with their respective t-case adapters are only 1/2" in difference (NV4500 is longer).

Per Advance Adapters, clutch should be 11". If you have a 12" as I have, you will need to check fitment. Grinding of the bell housing may be necessary to fit the 12" or high hat clutches.

Here is an article on doing this swap:

NV4500 swap

Some pictures for you:

Single Hump Cross Member...

NV4500 early version with the following upgrades:

Late model top (Early had shift linkage issues)
Upgrades syncronization servos
Syncronized reverse gear
Late model main shaft
Late model 5th gear lock nut

Dorman Master Cylinder...

Dorman Slave Cylinder (modified w/AA)...

Advance Adapters Bell Housing...

Advance Adapters Clutch Slave Cylinder Bracket...

GM 12346190 Syntorq NV4500 Transmission Fluid (MUST USE)

Center hump before (SM465)...

Center hump after (ready for NV4500)...

I'm doing my swap the weekend of the 21/22. I'll have losts of pics and will post up.

Hope this information helped you. If I missed anything, I'll update.

Manny

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is good info, But my experience has been that the 205, even with a circular pattern, still needs an adapter to gain clearance for the shifter. Advance adapter # 50-6910.
Hope this helps somewhat.

·
Full speed...half lit
7,882 Posts
Man I was way off. Novak lists the 4500 as almost 7 inches longer than a 465. My bad.

·
Super Moderator
6,117 Posts
I probably have about a 1k in the swap for everything. It's well worth every penny though. The gearing split is much better and I have overdrive so I can run lower gears in the axles.

·
Registered
407 Posts
i am using a late model 4500 with a 205...no adapters necessary, just some grinding to the stock 4500 adapter and a custom shifter mount..its real easy to make one out of strap steel. I am using the internal slave with the stock 86 chevy master....I have the wrong clutch installed right now though, the stock 86 clutch is different than the internal slave clutches are welder

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
would you mind posting some actual pics of it on the vehicle i'd like to see the setup. i am really considering doing this swap once i can save up some extra cash. i am going to try and sneak away from the hydraulic setup just yet tho. would i be able to add it later?
thanks again guys

·
Super Moderator
6,117 Posts
Put the hyrdo on it now. You wont regret it if you actually wheel the truck.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Whats the point in doing this if he has a good solid tranny. Just to gain the 5th gear.

I got allmost $2g's in my nv4500 swop.But mine started off as 2wd diesel trans. Plus i only wanted dealer parts only to. But i put mine behind a dodge 318ci magnum. After i blew 3 nv3500 trannys in 2.5 year. 300+hp x 37's well tear so stuff up on the street.jamminzz

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Put the hyrdo on it now. You wont regret it if you actually wheel the truck.
i probably will end up doing this, i just have every one elsesd problem BIG plans and a small budget, i dunno what to start with lol. but it would make since to have a hydro clutch out wheelin, it would be alot easier on that left leg.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ramrock your right the tranny i have now is rock solid and i have no problems what so ever, but i would like to have more choices with my gearing and rpm range. now 1st gear is almost useless driving anywhere, 2nd and 3rd are too big of jump in between to grab a gear if its not just the right rpms, and 4th is overkill overdrive lol. maybe im just being difficult. my truck is a weekend truck i drive it on street and offroad, it has a built stroker maybe throwin 475hp from what i can remember from dyno, runnin 40" hawgs and 4:56 gears. eventually i plan on gettin 4:88, and i think i will will like my gear selection better with a 5-speed. too bad i cant figure out how to put a 6 speedwelder1funny1

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
What about a nv5400 or is it a nv5600. The new 6speed in dodges. Id bet A/adpters has the stuff to put that trans to a chevy block.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hell ya its allison but i dont have that kinda cash lol. my company truck is an 08 2500 hd , its got the allison and a 6.0, if all else fails that might be where i turn to parts haha.

·
Super Moderator
6,117 Posts
The 5 speed will really wake that engine up. Even with a big block the 2-3 split was horrible. Although not real great with the 5 speed, it is a lot better now. It's also easier to shift with a closer pattern. Not to mention the overdrive.

This is with the early chevy transmission though. I have driven a 97 dodge with the 4500 behind a cummins and the 2-3 split was horrible, but they used different ratios.

Now if I could just put a dodge g-56 behind a BBC that would be a nice setup.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
They do make a shortshift shifter for the nv4500. They help alot. My brother had one in his hotshot truck. Man i was nice.

With my gas motor i touck off in 2nd to 3rd to 5th. Thats with 300+hp, 4.56grs and 37's. And thats getting it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts