Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are some pics of the swing away I started this weekend. Still need to paint and do a few minor things and I will be done. The latch is completely boxed in. The swing away swings much better then the tailgate with the wait of the tire on it.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Looking really good!! What rear bumper is that? Did you make it? If so what material did you use?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, I made the bumper using 3/16" 2X4 tubing. Shackels and the hitch are welded on both sides thru the bumper and welded into the frame brackets. The bumper is currently tied into the four bolts in the cross member and the bottom bolts on the frame. I am going to reinforce the crossmember bolts to tie the bumper into the frame thru the crossmember for added strength.

Bruiser said:
Looking really good!! What rear bumper is that? Did you make it? If so what material did you use?

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Modify said:
Thanks, I made the bumper using 3/16" 2X4 tubing. Shackels and the hitch are welded on both sides thru the bumper and welded into the frame brackets. The bumper is currently tied into the four bolts in the cross member and the bottom bolts on the frame. I am going to reinforce the crossmember bolts to tie the bumper into the frame thru the crossmember for added strength.
I have seen alot of bumpers built like yours. Doesn't look or sound too hard of a project. I really need a reciever on the back of mine, maybe a good inespensive project I need to do asap. Thanks for the info on it.

·
Mas Tequila
18,252 Posts
Nice work Modify toast what did you use for the hinge?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I like it!! toast

I want to do something similar for mine. Just haven't put a lot of planning into it yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.