Texas 4x4 Forum banner

Topw

5K views 40 replies 26 participants last post by  mudgod 
So far I like the manaul in the K50. That 6:1 low gear really kicks a$$. Because I have the manaul I can get away with running 4:56 gears and 38.5 tires.

xanthias said:
Well, of course I have the 4R100 in my rig below. But in my choice of trail rig I would pick the SM465 with a hand throttle. I've seen MG do some freaky stuff with that Granny low.
Was you there when I got out of the truck and walked beside it climbing a hill? I can't do that anymore with the bigger tires :(

I have been working on Bruiser this year. He now has a stick, but he has got to test drive it yet. As far as having to start the motor on a incline, I just put it in gear and turn the key. My cranks right up and goes. I have also seen a lot of guys running carbs lose fuel and use the starter to move the rig.
I even done it this year with Thumper in the truck when I was driving on my side and lost prime to my fuel pump. We just put it in Rev. and turned the key until it got back level. I don't think you can do that with an auto.

Oh and I can push in a clutch way faster than you can shift into reverse. Well maybe I am getting older.
Tiger that is a good point, for climbing a straight up hill, but I think he was talking about going into a drop off where the back tire is starting to come off the ground, pushing in the clutch at that point might be a bad idea.
So I might have to agree with 4x4freak on the putting it in Reverse thing, but that is the only one good reason to have a auto.
The clutch is a very good tool to have in a rig that has supper low gears. It is very nice to be able to disengage your drive line for a quick burst of speed and then just as fast reengage it.
I also like it when I'm trying to climb a ledge that is mostly straight up and I have to back up. All I have to do is engage the clutch and back up a few feet, let off and I can go forward again. Most people I see with auto's have to change gears to do that. And if they are strapped in, they have to unstrap to reach the gear shift.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.