Texas 4x4 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
I prefer the auto for crawling and going fast. I like man. for towing and driving on the street.
The main thing I dont like about a man. while crawling is trying to start off on an incline. I dont like the sm465 while trying to hotrod on the street, it takes too long to shift and there is too much of a gap in gear ratio between second and third. I plan to swap it out for an nv4500 some day. I love the nv3500 in the S10. It has a short throw, easy to shift fast and the ratios are pretty good. I also really like the t18 in the 75 Scout, it has a good tight shift pattern.

The 77 scout is the only truck I currently own with an auto and I am going to keep it that way. I have more control over the way it crawls, I usually just keep it revved up and control my speed with the brakes. I want to rebuild it with a full man. reverse pattern valve body. It will basically have the features of a manual, but without the hassle of a clutch.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
anybody ever tried mating a powerglide to a late model transfer case? I've read where some have been custom built for comp apps.

I dont think the combo would work too well without either a really low t-case gear ratio or low axle ratio.

I have been working on Bruiser this year. He now has a stick, but he has got to test drive it yet. As far as having to start the motor on a incline, I just put it in gear and turn the key. My cranks right up and goes. I have also seen a lot of guys running carbs lose fuel and use the starter to move the rig.
I even done it this year with Thumper in the truck when I was driving on my side and lost prime to my fuel pump. We just put it in Rev. and turned the key until it got back level. I don't think you can do that with an auto.

i used to always think auto. but after having a stick with the correct gearing i like it alot. also one thing that the buggy had that i think i'd put in any manuel crawler is a line lock.
hold hte brakes push the button and you're feet are free to use the clutch and gas and let the brakes out whent eh tires start to turn, makes it feel like an auto but you can still have your off the redline clutch dumps!

I like my 465/208 with 5.13s and 42s, but i've yet to get out and do any real crawlin yet. It sure makes it nice for pulling in and out of the garage really slow though :D

On long meandering trails, I have often wondered what it would be like with an auto up until I get to some good obstacles and start abusing the 465. :D Ofcourse the atlas 4spd behind it sure helps plenty.

I have slowly started to research swapping the 465 with a zf6, now that would be the cats meow for sure jammininz

I would have to say for wheelin' a standard --- you just cant beat that granny gear if ya got a crawl box from Marlin -- even sweeter with the lower gears in the T-case !! (future mod !) But as far as day to day driving -- automatic - lets just face it all those years of football and volleyball does a job on my knees and driving a standard every day would kill me - called me spoiled but auto in the DD and I can handle a standard in the Toy. :D

Auto's are for old fat (and some Skinney...sorry Rick forgot about you) Ppls. period!!!!
Mike

when was the last time you saw a Manuel crack it's tailshaft???? or Don't work because the fluid is low or not working on angles.
Compression brake is nice with a Manuel and that is what's in my Toyota.

manuel

Heard a guy say once "he'd buy an auto when they could make one run upside down for 10 minutes".I've smoked 2 th350's from 2 different builders now i run an sm465 and love it.jamminzz

I'll stick with my auto in the crawler. It may not work upside down, but it doesnt matter anyway if your engine is locked up. A well built tranny with a good cooler can handle lots of abuse. I also like being able to slam it into reverse to prevent a rollover. With most man. trannies it's over before you can get it into reverse.

My th350 has plenty of compression braking and the 700 I'm going to swap in will have even more with the lockup converter.

..having wheeled both, I'd say auto at this point....the main reason is that it's just plain easier to drive when situations get bad...PLUS, the wifey can cruise our rig with no problem(she never learned how to drive a manual off road, just on pavement...) I used to love rowing thru the gears on my old 465(and the killer granny) but I don't miss it now that I have the 4 to 1 t-case....water isn't an issue for me personally, cause I just stay out of the deep stuff....one other note, I have never had an auto overheat offroad....
...hope this stays true...

I still favor the standard. I recently bought a 79 CJ5, 304 V-8 and swapped the 3spd out for a T18 4spd. It's a blast to drive!

Well I have to chime in,although I shouldn't .I have a 4500 and I have only had 1 automatic in my life,although it was nice driving on the highway I still felt like I was wearing a skirt or maybe some pink panties? So I will leave the autos for the women and for us that want to drive,we will stay with the sticks. Cause girls like guys with big Sticks.HA HA HA
LOL just teasing dont get your pink panties in a wad.
Oh and I can push in a clutch way faster than you can shift into reverse. Well maybe I am getting older.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.