Texas 4x4 Forum banner

Topw

5K views 40 replies 26 participants last post by  mudgod 
#1 ·
which transmission is best? Standard or automatic? Why?

and what do you have in your rig?

#2 ·
Compareing my Blazer and my friends Heep... I like auto better. I have a 700r4 w/ a np241 and i really like it because when im out crusin around town or bending around a trail, there is 1 less thing to worry about.

#3 · (Edited)
for on-road and towing and less technical offroad (philmont roads), i much prefer the manual, less to break, more control, more efficient (which is why i want to swap an nv4500 in for my 4l60e...someday). For serious offroad its really hard to beat a good strong automatic, since the torque converter gives you some nice reduction and you don't have to mess with the clutch.

#6 ·
I have the AX-15 in my heep... I love it.

I had the SM465 -208 in my truck and loved the low range crawling. I can see some advantages to a auto when crawling, but not enough to go thru a swap.

Auot's are twice the cost to rebuild and you have to worry about heat, denting the pan, and cooler lines to the radiator... more stuff = more chance of breakage.

with all that said, I have a 700r4 \ 241 combo I plan on putting in Mouse's YJ. I think braided steel cooler lines tucked up and routed correctly should ease the worry of cooler lines, skid plates for the bottom of the tranny.... Will just have to see

#8 ·
I like the manual over the auto for a couple of reasons;
simplicity, compression braking on steep downhill grades, and if you do get water into it the manual tranny is a whole lot more tolerant of it. Also, if while getting the water into the tranny your starter drowns, you can still pull-start the rig.

#11 · (Edited)
Here's a question; What places 1st in 99% of the rock crawling competitions? Auto's. What are most of them built with; auto's. So I guess it would be up to the terrain and what you're looking for your rig to do.chrfalI ran a stick for the longest time with an overall reduction of 119%. I'm now running an auto and I have to tell ya, I'm loving every bit of it jamminzz And I do just rocks jamminzz

#12 ·
So far I like the manaul in the K50. That 6:1 low gear really kicks a$$. Because I have the manaul I can get away with running 4:56 gears and 38.5 tires.

#14 · (Edited)
xanthias said:
Well, of course I have the 4R100 in my rig below. But in my choice of trail rig I would pick the SM465 with a hand throttle. I've seen MG do some freaky stuff with that Granny low.
Was you there when I got out of the truck and walked beside it climbing a hill? I can't do that anymore with the bigger tires :(

#16 ·
JP_CT said:
Here's a question; What places 1st in 99% of the rock crawling competitions? Auto's. What are most of them built with; auto's.

I think you have the scales tipped a little. If 99% of the rigs competing are autos it would only follow that most of the winners would be autos. Not a fair comparison. Driving the wifes Scout with an auto wasn`t as satisfying as wheeling my junk with a standard.

#17 ·
I just think JP CT should go back to Connecticut4x4.org and leave us Manual driving southerners to our VICES.

BTW, the Burban has a dern Auto, but I am going manual as soon as she is lifted, just so I do not have to lay on my back to do the swap!

#18 ·
54inches said:
I just think JP CT should go back to Connecticut4x4.org and leave us Manual driving southerners to our VICES.
bsflg

#19 ·
Being lazy like I am, I'd have to go with the Auto. But I think I could give up body parts for 1 with a 6:1. It's like anything else you take care of it , it takes care of you. Or you break it and Upgrade.

#20 ·
Don`t get me wrong,there is things I like about the auto. It`s pretty bad azz on the street,and I think I`m gonna race it this year. Thats something I couldn`t do with my 465,just to far between the gears.

#23 ·
I prefer the auto for crawling and going fast. I like man. for towing and driving on the street.
The main thing I dont like about a man. while crawling is trying to start off on an incline. I dont like the sm465 while trying to hotrod on the street, it takes too long to shift and there is too much of a gap in gear ratio between second and third. I plan to swap it out for an nv4500 some day. I love the nv3500 in the S10. It has a short throw, easy to shift fast and the ratios are pretty good. I also really like the t18 in the 75 Scout, it has a good tight shift pattern.

The 77 scout is the only truck I currently own with an auto and I am going to keep it that way. I have more control over the way it crawls, I usually just keep it revved up and control my speed with the brakes. I want to rebuild it with a full man. reverse pattern valve body. It will basically have the features of a manual, but without the hassle of a clutch.

#24 ·
anybody ever tried mating a powerglide to a late model transfer case? I've read where some have been custom built for comp apps.

#25 ·
I dont think the combo would work too well without either a really low t-case gear ratio or low axle ratio.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.