Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need ya'lls opinion on transmission coolers. Do you think the ones with a fans attached are a good idea? Or just a good ol plain one do the trick?

Example of without:

Example with:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Depends on the price. An ordinary cooler would do the job unless for some reason you're doing some stuff that really heats up your tranny.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RVREDDOG said:
I think the one with the fan is for remote mounting.
Where do you usually mount a trans cooler?

·
Mas Tequila
18,256 Posts
where it gets the most airflow. with a fan you can put it anywhere :)

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most trans cooler I've seen mounted are behind the radiator. For like you said (Rastus) get the most air flow. My thinking on the need for the one with the fan is when you are trying to get out of that mud hole or up that steep ledge there isn't a hole lot of air flow, is their? The fan would kick on if the fluid temp got above an uncomfortable temp and make air flow for you. Just really wondering if it's necessary to keep the tranny fluid temp that manageable?

·
Mas Tequila
18,256 Posts
Most tranny coolers are mounted in front of the radiator.

The fan on the cooler is not a bad idea, Bruiser. Tranny temps need to be stable but usually the factory cooler or the aftermarket coolers do it well. for slow crawling and working the tranny in high temps ( Texas summers) it would probably be a good idea. Is it required or nessacary, probably not. will it give you a safety margin, probably so. I don't know of anyone running a fan on thier tranny cooler. I know Micah has a "Bowtie Built" 700r4 in his K5, but I don't know what kind of cooler he is running. A deep sump (pan) on the tranny will help it run cooler as well.

·
OOOsahhh
3,905 Posts
Bruiser said:
Where do you usually mount a trans cooler?[/QUOTE

If it doesn`t have a fan you mount it against the radiater,if it has its own fan,anywhere you want to.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
that would be cool, it would make you fell better i guess. a good aftermarket one will do fine since your normal fan is still pulling air and all. If you are running electric fans on the radiator it will do the same thing that fan is doing. there are pans out there that got cooling rails built in, i know cause i got one, but i didn't buy it. came with the camaro when i bought it.

the rails i speak of is like 7 small pipes that go through the pan to allow cool air through!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Yes, Trans Cooler Is Mounted In The Front Of The Radiator.
If You Are Doing Trail Rides Or Rock Crawling I Would Mount
The Fan In The Front Of The Trans Cooler & A Big Fan Or Dull
Fan In The Back Of The Radiator

1 - 11 of 11 Posts