Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Full speed...half lit
7,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd kinda like to get a cheap tube bender so that I can get super pissed and ruin a bunch of tube/pipe but would like to hear opinions from others. I like the price of the pro tools 105heavy and the JD model32. Both are $400 and look nice but looking nice and working might be two different things. It will mainly be used for 1.75" hrew or 1 5/8 pipe and maybe some 1". If I have to do something real serious I'll seek out a professional. lol

Anyone have one of these and can weigh in? Maybe a model I didn't list that's equal in size/capacity that would be a good choice? Post up! Thanks!

·
Full speed...half lit
7,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the JD model 3 manual bender, 1.75 DOM is pretty easy. I would buy it again.
I saw the model 3 and wasn't sure if it was too light weight. If you're happy with it then I can throw it on the list. :toast:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I have the Jd2. I've since moved it to the vertical position. It works extremely well, however I do have a couple complaints.

1. It seems loose, and hard to keep your material level when making multiple bends.

2. It is very hard to see your initial bend mark once its in the bender.

Would I buy one again? Probably so......

ImageUploadedByAG Free1372855764.517827.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I am. iirc, the only difference in the 32 is it will bend larger tube, so its a little more heavy duty. I have no plans for anything larger than 1.75. The 3 is no light weight though, def up to the task.

·
Full speed...half lit
7,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am. iirc, the only difference in the 32 is it will bend larger tube, so its a little more heavy duty. I have no plans for anything larger than 1.75. The 3 is no light weight though, def up to the task.
That's all I'm lookin to bend is 1.75 dom. If it will do that no problem then I'm good.

Rebelrider Big4x4ride, what jd2 do you have? Model 32 or model 3?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I've also mounted mine on the old engine stand. I can now use it horizontal, and rotate to vertical very easily......

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have a Model 32...The arms and all the pins are thicker, but essentailly it is the same as a Model 3..Just beefed up so you can bend 2" by .25 wall stuff...
Like 90'K5, I'll probably never do anything over 1.75" for my stuff, but I wanted to be set up in case someone else ever needed me to...I got mine from tricktools, with 1.5"and 1.75" dies and bendtech together as a package. I put the Swag ram mount on there for the HF 8 ton ram.
Im happy with it and would buy the same one again.

My only 2 complaints is the degree wheel that comes with the bender is not engraved. It is a painted on type sticker material that flakes off...I thought about going to a good plasma place and having a good degree wheel cut out. But it aint broke, so Im not going to fix it yet. I also had to gusset the top of the stand that came with it because it started to sag after bending long sticks of tubing...
Here is how mine is set up for mobility:

I keep a 50' hose with it...

·
Registered
820 Posts
There is a Model 3 for sale in Austin.TX with 2 dies 1.25" and 1.75" both 180* dies, for $850..and he says he has a notcher and bendtech to sell also...thats alot cheaper than what I paid and you could eventuaslly add in the 1.5" die and you could do a whole bunch of different projects.

·
Full speed...half lit
7,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Jess!

·
Full speed...half lit
7,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No problem man, and that listing was on pirate if you hadn't seen it...its about a week old
I did but honestly if I did buy I'd have to buy one piece at a time. Broke white boy style.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Got a pro tools 105 hd. Mounted it on an old engine stand and it works great, just wish we used it more and knew what we were doing with it lol. Yeah we suck at it. chrfal

·
Full speed...half lit
7,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got a pro tools 105 hd. Mounted it on an old engine stand and it works great, just wish we used it more and knew what we were doing with it lol. Yeah we suck at it. chrfal
Haha! I feel ya! I know once I get it I'll be ruining LOTS of tube. I can see lots of stuff being thrown in my future followed by strong language.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I'll give you my bend tech pro if you don't wanna ruin much tube, just have to know how to run a tape. Very easy to use!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts