Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is being the best mudder or the best climber really that important? Which is harder on your equipment? Will one rig really excell at both? Why not just drive through the woods, creeks and over the hills? Why go on trails that only one out of five or ten can make without tearing stuff up? There must be an adrenaline rush that I just never experienced. Maybe I just grew up so poor that I hated to tear my stuff up, because you had to walk when you broke down. Maybe I was like that ol' boy on BBS that only had two friends when he was growing up--both imaginary and would only play with each other. I had no close neighbors, no phones, and being broke down brings back absolutely no good memories. It confuses me that people spend hours to go over an obstacle that is easily bypassed. I understand having to cross the muddy creek and climb a reasonable hill, but I just don't get the extreme. Just grew up in the wrong environment maybe, had enough thrills in my younger days, or maybe I had just rather do more sane things. I am not putting anyone down---I just don't get it. jamminzz

·
Mas Tequila
18,252 Posts
Zero, remember when we were kids in East Texas we could go trail riding for hours thru the woods and or clear cuts and never have to worry about all the BS that follows wheeling these days... just take an old 2wd truck or if u were lucky a 4x4 and go play in the woods and mud all day with your buds...go down to the Sabine or Neches River, hang out on the sand bar with a bonfire...get to cuddle some if you were lucky.... when we broke down ( if we broke down) we would scrounge for parts and swap or whatever to get it running again...then came the cars..of course ya gotta make yours faster then your Buds..smoke him in the 1\4 or between the bridges ya know...then comes marriage and kids, there goes fast cars and playin..fast forward 20 yrs now, the run between the bridges is now the vertical wall, or the deepest hole that you can get over or thru...it all boils down to the same thing... We love cars (4x4's) and we love tinkering with them, always working to improve or make a lil change here and there to make it perform more or better.

Myself... I would love to be able to find an old road or trail system I could ride for a day trip thru the woods or country with a cooler and a picnic basket, but them days are gone forever I do believe.. at least round here they are anyways.. East Texas is all timber land and Hunting clubs, Central and West Texas is all private land.. things change, we have to change with them..

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
add on

I am very impressed with the ingenuity and originality of the rigs. It seems a shame that so much thought, work, and money go for such a useless accomplishment, but then very little is more satisfying than the feeling of accomplishment of any kind that you know only a few others have felt.

Sorry, I've already said more than I can comprehend. spankn

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Kenny- the type of trails you long for can be found in Colorado fer sher. Those trails go someplace and you better pack food and a tent.

As for the "why we do it"--
When I did Colorado five years ago, I bypassed every obstacle I could because the purpose was to get to the end of the trail or next town or next junction or whatever. I wasn't with a large group of vehicles, so I knew I had to avoid breakage whenever possible. Coming down Blanca Peak we stopped and watched a group of built FJs go THROUGH (not around) a tough obstacle. My brother and I just shook our heads wondering why they wasted so much time when they could have gone around.

Fast forward to today. There are no looooong trails around here anymore since the rivers closed. So the only thrill is to purposely attack difficult lines to see if you can do it. But I don't do the skinny pedal thing...that's what breaks stuff. As for bypasses: don't start the trail if you don't intend to stick to it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hind sight is 20-20!

Rastus said:
things change, we have to change with them..
smokin You are probably right, and I have just flamed out. We could just ride through any pasture or back roads and shoot anything (rabbits, *****, possums, crows, hawks, and I wish we had shot more of those stupid squirrels), and I just realized why we can no longer do those things. We were a destructive lot weren't we? nonon

·
Mas Tequila
18,252 Posts
We were'nt destructive. We respected the property we rode on, if we saw a busted fence we fixed it, Saw a cow out we helped the owner get it back in the pasture. We would get rowdy at times for sure, but we never tore stuff up just to tear it up. We used to shoot possums and sell them...**** cooked over a hot open fire is good eating and I really miss a good squirrel gumbo. Damn crows was always eating the corn or beans, so I used the 22 to resolve that issue. 8)

Hatch, sounds like I need to plan a Colorado Vacation bigok

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.