Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mas Tequila
18,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were talking about it in Chat....

how old were you and what did you drive?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
i was 7 yrs old driving a 79 Ford f100 with three speed in the floor. I did the steering and shifting while my dad worked the peddles for me.
here is the truck when i finally got it back in the family.

i let my dad have it back but he isn't allowed to sell it or anything.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
I think I was 14 and drove my 69 GMC LWB 2wd straight 6 with three on the tree. That truck was a blast, wish I would never have sold it (wasn't my choice).:rolleyes:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I was 14, the truck was a 1974 F150 XLT

·
Registered
539 Posts
14-15ish '82 Volvo wagon with a 4 spd + over drive and a 98 hp 4-banger :D Excellent car to learn in, easy to kill yet pretty much bulletproof so you couldn't break it...

·
Mas Tequila
18,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was 8 or 9, started sittin beside Daddy learning to steer in a 67 Chevy PU. my first time driving was in my brothers Corvair with Daddy, the shifter was difficult, so I used a lil pressure and broke it.. We were way out in the woods too... the car was stuck in first.. had to drive all the way home like that. 8) I think that's the last time I ever drove a Corvair.

·
Registered
726 Posts
i started driving with in my parents lap around the neighborhood but the first solo was in a 1979 yota 4x4 pu that was my uncles with 35 in mtr's lifted 6 inches and it was a blast... i was 12 so 1989... it was orange... loved that truck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not sure how old I was, but I was younger than 10. My mom would let me sit on her lap and steer while she worked the pedals. Not on streets though....

·
Registered
185 Posts
i was twelve learning to drive my dad's dune buggy on trails, learned to drive and wheel at the same time

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
driving

Took my parents 69 flower power VW for a spin around the block, without their permission of course, I was 13 then. Started driving the hay truck in the hayfield at 15 when we moved to East Texas.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
When I was 6, my cousin talked me into asking a drunk at the end of the road about me driving his car. He got some pillows for me to set on, and we where off. I drove through one yard and took up the whole road going side to side driving to my grandfathers house. I remember my cousin driving around me on his motorcycle laughing his butt off. My grandfather and dad just thought it was that drunk guy driving up to see them, boy, where they ever surprise to see me driving. My dad must have beat the guy to with in a inch of his life! After that any time we where in the woods I could drive. I remember one time when I was 11 and we where in Houston my dad told me to drive because he was tired. I was scared to death driving in all that traffice, but so how I made it.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
i got to thinking of all the vech. i drove and i would have to say the funnest one to drive was my grandpa straight six tractor!! it was a Ford color blue. he asked me if i wanted to drive and of course any 13 yrs old would say "YEA!!!" so he showed me all of the stuff i needed to know since i was going to load a big round bale of hay to take out in the pasture to feed the cattle. Well i get that thing fired up with his help and he direct me to the right bale to get. well backing up i got close to the wall but didn't rouch it and started out the door of the barn.
Well this is when thing go alittle weird. i didn't know i was close to the side as i was and i was watching the truck since it was parked near by, my grandpa was on the other side and when i went out the door my mom said i left only an inch of gap between my grandpa and the tire!!! since he was between the tire and the door opening.
then as we was going down the pasture , i was sitting in the seat and he was standing on the side of the tractor. well he told me to shift gears and when i went to engage it again i had the tractor reved too high and i nearly threw him off the tractor!!
til the day he passed away he laughed about it everytime i got to go feed the cattle with him. I tried getting that tractor but my half uncles didn't want me to have anything really, i ended up taking a claw hammer out of grandpa truck since he was a carpenter.
But i aways got my memories with my grandpa!!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
I started getting the basics down when I was 6. My step dad had a 64 El Camino with a 283 and 3 on the tree. I couldn't even see over the steering wheel but I would listen to the engine RPMs and tell him when to mash the clutch so I could shift. When I was 8 I went to work with my grandpa nearly every weekend. He is an electrican which is where I got my start. Anyway he would walk and stake poleline while I followed in his truck. I even drove several blocks through town when I was about 10 to pickup my grandpa from delivering a truck to get a tire repaired.

Catfish 8)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Driving a truck was around 7-8. It was a chevy fleetside small block with a 3 on the tree. Could not see nor hear the engine very well. Made some awesome ruts in the back yard! But as far as equipment I grew up on a dairy farm and have been driving tractors,combines and things like that ever since I could remember.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was 14 and drove my neighbor's 69 camaro with 4 speed on floor without the third gear had to get enough rpm's to shift from 2nd to 4th that was a pain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was 10 driving my dad's ''77 or '78 Scout II. Got to drive on the backside of Padre Island whenever we went fishing.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I never stole my parents vehicles, ya'll know how big my dad is!!! I was about 12. The first time I drove, my dad had a 83 Dodge Ramcharger (Imagine That) we were at a small airport putting in two beacon towers and needed to "borrow" a front end loader that was about a 1/4 mile away, so he drove us down there and he drove the front end loader back and I drove the ramcharger back, it had 35" mud tires on it at the time, we had to go through a big mud puddle to get back and oldgoat said just punch it and you will make it through and then let off and follow me back, I punched it and made it through but forgot to let off afterwards and was fishtailing and going all over the place before I decided to hit the brakes and let off of the gas. OldGoat could prolly tell this story better, but this is my version of how I remember it.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I must have been about 4. Granny would let me sit on her lap when we would go to the corner store. She had a big black Cadillac/Olds/Lincoln. (Not sure) The last time she let me do this I rounded a curve in the road and didn't straighten up. We went through a chain link fence, a rose bed and finally stopped up close to a house. I bought my first truck (62 Chevy) at 15. It wasn't running and needed an engine overhaul so I bought a 70 Chevy Impalla to drive until I got the truck running. I never did drive that truck long.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts