Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hope this is the right area, if not please move it.

I'm about to motor/tranny/transfer case swap my jeep. (1997 TJ) I've got the 2.5 with a 5 speed and a 231 with sye. I have no clue what this would be worth.

Could some of y'all offer suggestions as to where to price it when I start the swap? I'm not looking to get rich or make tons of money, after all its a 4 cyl. I just would like to know what a resonable asking price is.

When the time comes I'll start a sale thread but at the moment I have no clue what it's worth. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from a crappy AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
It'll be worth more if you don't cut up the wire harness! Ax5 trans?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it's the ax-5. It won't have a harness as I need that for my swap. Swapping in the 5.2 magnum. I've priced harnesses at 125-150 on eBay but my best route is to keep the factory harness. Any idea where I should be at on price?

Another possible area that could change is the sye. I may keep it but for the right price I'd leave it and order another. I appreciate the input.

Sent from a crappy AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
832 Posts
If you want to unload these parts quickly to fund your swap the tcase is worth $200 w/SYE, if you have have a 2Lo shifter you may get lucky and find someone willing to give $300 wanting an SYE with no interest in doing the install on their own but they still need a rear shaft. The ax-5 is worth $100. Most everyone is running a 4.0 or bigger in a jeep so the 5 series isn't too desirable. The running 2.5 is worth $200-250. If you included the harness $350-400 would be top dollar.

Gotta remember that your parts are good replacements but almost never a sought after combination so it brings value down a bit. Plus the input on the tcase is 21 spline so no one can run it behind anything but a 5 w/o swapping inputs.

Good luck man. Hope that helps

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That helps quite a bit. I may end up keeping the sye off the case to transfer to the donor. But i had considered $500 for it all minus sye. So its not looking like id be too off base. I am looking for a quick sale. Mainly to help find the build and to preserve shop space. I may post a presale thread to try and get them earmarked before tearing into it. Do you think it would be best to keep it all together or sell it split up? Thanks!

Sent from a crappyAutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
832 Posts
On this board, you got a snowballs chance in........the Caribbean at selling it together or separately. Only because these guys like big power and wheel for real, just what you wanna do. You got a real good chance at selling it as a package and splitting it up on Craigslist. That way you have guys that own shops looking for good deals.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts