Texas 4x4 Forum banner

What Winch to buy?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a winch for the Blazer. I told the wife it would cost about $1,200 for a Warn 1,200#. That is what I bought for the F250, and have use it a lot pulling my truck out of mud holes and moving trees off the road. It's a great winch and is what I thought to buy again, but 4 Wheel Parts has The 1,200 # Mile Marker for $599.00. At that price I could get one for the front and one for the back! Are Mile Marker's just that cheap for a reason, or is Warn just overly proud? Anybody running the Mile Marker 1,200#? Anyway what would you do? Buy one Warn, or two Mile Markers?

·
OOOsahhh
3,905 Posts
I would buy one Mile Marker,and see how it does. Then if you like it get another,if you don`t you only have one to return.

·
Latin Lover
3,138 Posts
We purchased a Mile Marker 9,000# and it seems to work fine. It is fairly new so we haven't used it much, but we are going to Las Cruses this week and I will be able to better answer on next Monday. Looking at the trails, we plan to use it alot.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I like our Warn. but the MM work fine. the only thing that we saw was the size of the cable...the best thing to do with MM is to use the winch rope..instead of cable in case it bunches up on you....that way it doesn't bust the support bars on the winch.....L

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
winch

The MM 12,000 lb. is available for $499 with roller fairlead from RoughCountry page 75 March issue of FourWheeler.
IMHO the Warn and Ramsey winches are way overpriced but, what is not way overpriced these days. I have owned Warn, Ramsey and now a Chicago electric and replaced the electric motor of the Warn, the brake on the Ramsey. These parts were replaced after much heavy duty use. I'm satisfied with the quality of their winches. No problems yet on the CE but of course it has yet to see much rough duty. It comes down to how much you want to spend and personal choice.
A couple of weeks ago in Sams I saw a knock off of the Patriot winch for $399 including roller fairlead and snatch block. I suspect as China continues to spin up production facilities we will see many more products competing with American made goods.
Obviously my vote is cast for the 12,000 lb MM for $499 If it breaks it has a warranty and if it holds you saved a bundle of cash Mudgod.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ontherun said:
... the only thing that we saw was the size of the cable...the best thing to do with MM is to use the winch rope..instead of cable in case it bunches up on you....that way it doesn't bust the support bars on the winch.....L
Is the cable to big? I don't know if I trust that rope or not. Do you run the rope?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Do not buy the mile marker electric 12'000, it is a gigantic piece of sh!t. I bought one, third use killed the motor, Sheared the bolt that holds cable to the spool(Had at least 15 wraps, should not have happened)Was not doing anything extreme that shold have caused it to fail. Do a search on CK5.com and Pirate4x4.com for the piece of sh!t, there are many complants. Wish I would have just save the money and bought a warn in the first place.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
mudgod said:
I'm looking at buying a winch for the Blazer. I told the wife it would cost about $1,200 for a Warn 1,200#. That is what I bought for the F250, and have use it a lot pulling my truck out of mud holes and moving trees off the road. It's a great winch and is what I thought to buy again, but 4 Wheel Parts has The 1,200 # Mile Marker for $599.00. At that price I could get one for the front and one for the back! Are Mile Marker's just that cheap for a reason, or is Warn just overly proud? Anybody running the Mile Marker 1,200#? Anyway what would you do? Buy one Warn, or two Mile Markers?

what ever you get make sure it is a worm gear setup. the worm gear winches seem to work better longer. ramsey makes some real nice worm gear winches. i think keiths is a worm gear ramsey.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
just fyi, most if not all of the old winches that you see on old tow trucks are old worm gear winches. they last!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts