Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know how difficult it would be to change the cutch on an early 90'2 jeep wrangler 4X4...the 4 banger model.

Any tips or advice...other than take it to a shop. I have the parts under control. Are there any special tools that you just have to have in order to get something.

should I pull the transfer case and tranny at the same time, or pull the case out, then the tranny?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd keep the tranny/xfer together. Just remove the rear driveshaft so you can scoot them back. You need an alignment tool to make sure that your clutch is centered while you bolt on the pressure plate.

Make sure that you get a new pilot bearing and have your pressure plate turned if you've the time.

I've done it without turning the pressure plate and had no adverse problems, so that is really optional.

Just make sure that you strap the tranny/xfer to the jack so they don't roll off the side. (Speaking from experience ;))

Good luck!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does anyone know of a place on;ine I can go to get help with doing this...specifically on a wrangler?

I don't know how to deal with the clutch and all. I have only done autos.

·
Registered
471 Posts
What part of town??? if TX City ain't to far I'd tell you to call Monster Off Road and ask them. since they've got a good lift it should go pretty quick. JDKing on this board is one of the owners.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
You MIGHT need a "star" socket (reverse torx sort-of) for some of the trans to engine bolts. I do not know this for sure, but I do know that I encounted them on 4.0 manual Jeeps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.